Arriving by Air—McGhee Tyson Airport (TYS)2055 Alcoa Hwy.
Alcoa, TN 37701
TYS is located approximately 14 miles from downtown Knoxville.
The following airlines service TYS:
- Allegiant Air
- American Airlines
- Delta Airlines
- Frontier Airlines (seasonal)
- United Airlines
Arriving by CarKnoxville is easily accessed by Highways I-75 and I-40.
From Charlotte, NC
- I 85 S toward Gastonia
- US 74 W toward Kings Mountain/Shelby
- I 40 W toward Knoxville, TN
From Atlanta, GA
- I 75 N toward Chattanooga, TN
From Cincinnati, OH
- I 75 S toward Lexington, KY
FOR INTERNATIONAL TRAVELERS
A passport is required for ALL international travelers. If you're traveling from anywhere overseas, even from Canada, the Caribbean or Mexico, you need a passport to board an international flight and to enter the country. In general, your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond the period of intended stay.
VISAA travel visa is required to enter the US from many countries. To see if one is required for your upcoming trip, visit the U. S. State Department at:
HEALTH CONCERNSKnoxville is home to several large hospitals with multiple specialist should health care needs arise during your visit. You should check to see whether your health insurance would be valid when traveling abroad. You may wish to purchase travelers insurance. Additional information may be found at the Centers for Disease Control website for visitors to the US.
AIRLINE CHECK-INThe recommended arrival time at the airport is 3 hours prior to departure when traveling to an international destination. You must be checked in at least 1 hour before your scheduled departure time.
SAFETYWe know that there may be concerns with travel in this day and age. However, Knoxville has been rated lower than average in crime compared to cities of similar size and type. Knoxville is in the Southeast US, which is known for its friendly hospitality. As with travel to any areas, it is safer to move about with groups, stay in well-traveled areas, such as the downtown area, including Market Square, Gay Street, and the area of the Knoxville Convention Center and surrounding hotels, and avoid walking alone at night.
MORE INFORMATION ABOUT VISITING THE UShttps://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/know-before-you-go
Transportation in Knoxville
Getting to and from McGhee Tyson Airport (TYS)
Arriving passengers will find a variety of transportation options to get you from the airport to the hotel, ranging from airport taxis to ride shares to rental cars.
The following taxi services are licensed to do business at TYS.
- 1-n-Only Airport Taxi
- A-1/Cloud Nine
- AAA Taxi
- Airport Yellow Cab
- All Access Taxi
- Benchmark Taxi
- Blount Taxi
- Connections Taxi
- Discount Taxi
- Go Taxi
- Gold Cab
- Gotcha Covered
- International Taxi
- Lightning Taxi
- Nation Taxi
- OB’s Taxi
- Paradise Taxi
- Platinum Taxi
- Royal Taxi
- Smith Taxi
- Sunday Taxi
- United Airport Taxi
Ride Sharing Services:
TYS now offers ride sharing via UBER or Lyft.
Rental Car Services:
Obtaining a rental car is easy at TYS. Each of the seven rental car companies operating here are located on airport property. You can find these companies near baggage claim.
Getting around Knoxville
A sampling of taxi companies in Knoxville include the following:
- Big Orange Express | (865) 694-8979
- West Side Taxi | (865) 523-3400
- A Negotiable Taxi | (865) 384-8601
- College Cab | (865) 523-2537
- Odyssey Airport Taxi | (865) 577-6767
- Yellow Cab | (865) 523-5151
Knoxville's downtown area also has a free trolley line. There are three trolley routes that serve the downtown and UT area:
- The Green Line: runs Mon.-Thur., 7:00 am -8:00 pm, Fri., 7:00 am -10:00 pm, and Sat., 9:00 am -10:00 pm Downtown Loop extension (providing service to Summit Towers) runs hourly from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm (Every 10 minutes) Downtown Loop extension (providing service to Summit Towers) runs hourly from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm.
- The Blue Line, runs Mon.-Thur., 7:00 am -8:00 pm, Fri., 7:00 am to 10:00 pm and Sat., 9:00 am to 10:00 pm (Every 7 minutes on Mon.-Fri., every 15 minutes on Sat.)
- The Orange Line, runs Mon.-Thur., 7:00 am -8:00 pm, Fri., 7:00 am to 10:00 pm and Sat., 9:00 am to 10:00 pm (Every 15 minutes)
A complete map of the Trolley Lines is available at the KAT website:
Knoxville Area Transit (KAT) buses operate on fixed routes throughout the city of Knoxville.
Depending on the route, KAT typically operates from 6:00 am- 6:00 pm.
A complete map of Bus Schedules and Maps is available at the KAT website:
- Single-Ride Pass $1.50
- One-Day Pass $4.00
- Seven-Day Pass $15.00
To purchase a pass, please call (865) 215-7819.
Street parking in downtown Knoxville is free after 6 pm and free all day on weekends. Street parking is available along many of the streets in downtown Knoxville. The link below will take you to a Downtown Parking map.
Note: Parking is included in your room rate at the hotel's onsite garage.
Public parking garages are also free after 6 pm and on weekends, but we must emphasize that this applies to only public parking garages. Three such garages are available:
- Locust St. Garage (Near the corner of Locust and Union)
- Market Square Garage (Near the intersection of Walnut and Union)
- State St. Garage (Near the corner of Clinch and State)
The Locust St. Garage is located only a block away from the Hilton and the Knoxville Convention Center.
- Handicapped Accessible Taxi:
J & B Taxi Service, (423) 292-2775
- AMS Vans, (866) 941-8267
- Accessible Van Rentals: Wheelchair Getaways of Tennessee
Services all the major airports in the region including Knoxville, Chattanooga, the Tri-cities of Bristol, Kingsport, and Johnson City. All vehicles are wheelchair accessible, with either raised roofs or lowered floors and automatic ramps or lifts. Some of our handicapped accessible vans include hand controls, transfer seats and spinner knobs.
- LIFT service:
Knoxville's public transit system, KAT, offer Paratransit LIFT service for individuals who are unable to use regular fixed-route buses. The LIFT is by reservation only, and you must be certified by KAT to use the service.
Download a Lift Application